Good News, Prop 47 has passed and now you maybe eligible to have your felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor and if someone you know is currently doing time on a felony, you may get out of jail or prison early!
As a bonus, you may now be eligible to legally posses a firearm!
California Proposition 47, reduced penalties for some crimes. The initiative reduces the classification of most "nonserious and nonviolent property and drug crimes" from a felony to a misdemeanor. Specifically, the initiative:
- Mandates misdemeanors instead of felonies for “non-serious, nonviolent crimes," with exceptions
- Permits re-sentencing for anyone currently serving a prison sentence for any of the offenses that the initiative reduces to misdemeanors.
- The court will thorougly review the defendant’s criminal history and risk assessment of any individuals before re-sentencing to ensure that they do not pose a risk to the public.
Some of the crimes elgible for Prop 47 Reduction include
- Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950
- Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
- Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950
- Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950
- Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950
- Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950
- Personal use of most illegal drugs
Getting your felony reduced to a misdemeanor is a big deal. It can mean the difference between getting hired or not, the ability to significanatly reduce your probationary period, and potentially restoring your gun rights.
Call us at 916-444-2960 for a free confidendtial review to see if you qualify for prop 47 relief.